Friday, August 19

Nursing School: Week One- CHECK!

           Greetings from Montgomery! Today marks the last day of my first week of nursing school at Auburn University of Montgomery. I bet you all are wondering how it went; well let me just tell you, it was OVERWHELMING. During the last three years of college I rarely remember being overwhelmed; stressed of course, but never did I feel like I was being sucked into an undertow without a life-jacket. This week was for sure humbling.
           Every Monday and Tuesday I am in class from 9AM-12PM, then 1PM to 3PM. On Thursdays I am in lab from 8AM-3PM. It does not seem like a lot of time is spent on school, but oh how that is far from the truth. After gathering all my assignments, assigned readings, test dates, validation schedules and clinical dates I FINALLY produced a master calender....it is so depressing! As of right now, I have yet to accomplish everything, reading wise, from this week.
           Today I had to sit through a professionalism conference from 9AM-12PM, those times are really getting to me, and was reversed on how to conduct myself in and out of school. A fashion show followed regarding how and how not to wear our uniforms and alternate wear. It was interesting. As I watched the Seniors perform I thought of how I could have been in their place. I am a Junior nursing student, but technically a Senior in college. So yes, I will be a fifth-year Senior, but wow, how I have learned SO MUCH these past three years.
            I do not know what to expect over the next five semesters; however, I do know it will fly by. As of right now I look at my planner and CRINGE I tell you! Can someone please come and do all my readings for me and then someone transfer that information into my brain, if so, I pay good. Another useless fact, this week I had my first pop quiz, I failed. Yes, Emily Gill failed a test. In nursing school, the lowest passing grade one can receive is a 73, so technically I failed with a 68%. Anyways, I have moved on. I understood my mistakes and that I was not prepared for that particular information.
          OH YEAH! I was assigned my lab partner and my clinical site! My lab partner could not be any cooler! She is so funny and I believe we will get along great this semester! Ironically, her name is also Emily, WHOOP! My clinical site is awesome; it is literally 3 minutes from my residence! However, I always told myself, "I don't want to work with babies, nor do I want to work with prego women or their crazy hormones." Well, what goes around comes around I say, my clinical site is on a women's services floor at a local hosiptal specicalizing in Labor and Delivery....yep. Funny how things workout like that, huh?
           Well, like any other challenge in my life I am going to approach this just the same, or maybe differently; I wont know until after I take all my first tests, then I might need some readjusting! I will try and keep this 'ole blog of mine updated as much as possible, but who knows, my next post might be graduation day. :)
           Random fact: AUM changed their mascot to something understandable, THE WARHAWKS! So, go Warhawks and Roll Tide Roll!!

           

No comments:

Post a Comment